Ever had one of those days where your mind is as sharp as a shard of glass and you can rock and roll your whole day, knocking off items from today's list, last week's unfinished list, and tomorrow's list - and still have the energy to get in an awesome workout and hang out with your family that night?
It feels AH-MAY-ZING!!
Then for some reason, you have days where you literally repeat the same minute detail or task all day long. And no matter how hard you try you don't get anything done that day and can't even seem to focus?
I've been there and as a Type-A, list-abiding person, it feels so defeating to spend a whole day's worth of energy getting nothing done! Brain fog is an awful interference in my life and for many of my clients. It clouds your ability to think clearly, to be productive, to have energy, and to be motivated. It's not a fun feeling and for many women can increase their anxiety or lead to mild depression if left untreated and unrecognized.
And while this feels like an issue with our brain, cognitive functions, and memory, numerous studies1 are now showing a strong link between brain fog and inflammation in our digestive system brought on by our modern-day diets.
Cleaning up our diet can go a long way to clearing away the fog that we experience! Removing inflammatory foods from our diet for 6-12 weeks can help us experience relief from cognitive impairment while introducing these foods individually back into your diet slowly over time can help you determine which of them are causing you the foggiest thinking.
Of course, I'm a huge fan of adding healthy options to our daily routines, as I truly believe that when we add healthier alternatives to our body, it crowds out the space and desire for the unhealthier (and inflammatory) options. So check out these 6 tasty foods that you can add to your routine to support a healthier digestive system!
- Coconut Oil – Cook with coconut oil and consume small amounts of unrefined coconut oil, if tolerated. (3 tablespoons by mouth per day to kill pathogens naturally).
- Pumpkin Seeds – Pumpkin seeds kill parasites. It is best to consume 1/4 cup daily as a late afternoon snack or make pumpkin seed milk in a Vitamix with water, 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, and stevia (if needed).
- Cloves and Cinnamon – By cooking with each of these spices or adding them to a smoothie or drink you are naturally killing microbes that are wreaking havoc on your system.
- Turmeric – By adding 1 tablespoon of turmeric to your foods, you are using one of the most powerful antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory spices. Pair it with a dash of black pepper to activate the full strength of the turmeric's anti-inflammatory abilities!
- Maine Coast Sea Vegetables – I like to buy the sprinkles (you can find them online at Amazon.com). Add kelp, dulse, or any of the combinations for supporting your thyroid and adrenal health!
- Chlorophyll – Add 1 tablespoon to water and consume twice a day or add to a juice. You can buy this at Amazon.com, too, and this will help with energy.